Friday, January 14, 2011

Dinner at Tavolo

So last night, Sarah and I decided that we would hit one of our favorite spots - Tavolo, which is located in Dorchester - for a pizza and some drinks. Now, we've been there several times. In fact, it's one of our favorite restaurants. Their food is great, especially their anti-pasto and pizza, they have a great bartending tandem in Brian and Donna, not to mention a really great beer selection.

On any typical night, you'll find five, six, or sometimes even seven of their eight draft beers coming from a New England brewery. Of course, this isn't the first time we've mentioned this fact. We first reviewed the restaurant back in March of last year. We were also on hand at their 2nd Anniversary party, neither time disappointing.

Last night was no different! We quickly found a spot at the bar, and ordered drinks as we waited for some friends to join us. What I like is that Tavolo has a dedicated Harpoon Brewery section of their taps, located at the opposite corner from the others.



They seem to always have Harpoon UFO and one variation of the Harpoon Leviathan Series beers. I've had the Baltic Porter and the Bohemian Pilsner in the past, and last night I had the Imperial IPA. Donna told me that once that keg kicks, they're adding the Leviathan Barleywine, which got me excited!

Since our first visit a few years ago, Tavolo has increased their craft beer selection pretty extensively, though mostly in bottles. You can also find some national craft beer. I typically prefer draft, but last night I was in the mood for something different. I ordered a Left Hand Brewing Sawtooth Ale, which I was really happy with. In my opinion, it is very close to Long Trail Ale, one of my favorite beers (and definite favorite for cooking beer brats).

Donna also mentioned that they were putting the Smuttynose Old Brown Dog Ale back on tap, but that she was interested in finding something new to put on (they've had the Old Brown Dog for a while). I mentioned that they should try the Smuttynose Star Island Single, a relatively new beer to the brewing company. To date I've only found it on tap at the Asgard in Cambridge, but I would be psyched if they put it on tap at Tavolo. I think it's a medium bodied beer, but is definitely not light on flavor.

Tavolo is owned by Chris Douglass, who also owns Ashmont Grill located just down the street. Though we haven't reviewed it yet, we've been to Ashmont Grill many, many times. It's definitely on our list of places to review. They also feature some really great draft beer (I actually have no clue what they have for bottles), but they are different ones that aren't available at Tavolo. It's not uncommon to see a Dogfish Head, Long Trail, Guinness, and others on tap. Their food is delicious, and it always smells great in the restaurant thanks to their wood grill.

If you're in the Boston area and are looking for a great meal, definitely stop into Tavolo or Ashmont Grill for a bite and a few pints. If you happen to see Brian, Donna, or Chris, let them know we sent you!

2 comments:

Marcel said...

dude sort of looks like tom brady but not really

BrewEngland said...

Brian's hair is much shorter. That and he doesn't have an off-season!