Thursday, January 27, 2011

Tuesday Night Tasting: Blue Hills Brewery Watermelon Wheat

This was supposed to be posted on Wednesday. Don't tell Adam.

As Adam posted earlier this week, we had a great time visiting Blue Hills Brewery last Friday. After our tour and tasting Jim was nice enough to hook us up with a couple of their beers to take home: The Black Hops, and the Watermelon Wheat. I had never heard of the Watermelon version of their wheat beer but when Jim spoke of it on the tour I knew I had to try it - so try it I did for our latest Tuesday Night Tasting.

I will always have a place in my heart for fruity beer. It is because of fruity beer that I am the beer lover I am today! It is a great "gateway" beer for people who think they don't like beer. As Adam is fond of saying "There is a craft beer lover in everyone" and I concur, some are just more hidden than others and need a little more coaxing.

Now onto the tasting.



Blue Hills Brewery - Canton, MA
Watermelon Wheat

As soon as you pour the beer - the smell of watermelon hits you. To me it smelled like a watermelon Jolly Rancher. I was expecting it to be quite sweet but in fact the first taste is mild, a little malty, citrusy. Which makes sense since this beer is made with their Wampatuck Wheat - a hefeweizen (and delicious beer in it's own right). As you swallow, the watermelon taste hits you and it's quite refreshing! It's like sipping a wheat beer and biting into a watermelon immediately afterwards. I can see kicking back on the porch on a hot summer day drinking one of these beers ice cold and let me tell you, I am clinging to that image as I look outside at the 8 feet of snow on the ground right now.




It is a warm, golden color and very bubbly. I drank it from a flute by chance but I think it was a great vehicle for this refreshing treat. Adam and I took a Beer Tasting course at the Boston Wine School a couple of years ago and learned that a wine glass is actually the best shaped glass to taste beer with. While I am sure most dudes out there cringe at the idea of drinking beer from a wine glass - you should give it a try sometime and see if I'm right!

In any case, this is a fabulous summer beer and you would like a little taste of summer now (as I think we could all use) definitely look for it at these stores or even better visit the brewery and pick some up!

No comments: