Thursday, August 4, 2011

Happy National IPA Day!

Today is National IPA day! I didn't actually know about it, or perhaps realize it, until a few days ago, but an impromptu package store run last night made me realize that I needed some hoppy brews in order to celebrate this evening properly! I ended up stopping at Atlas Liquors in Quincy, which has a rather decent selection of craft beers.

With that being said, I got the following beers:

Haverhill Brewery Leather Lips IPA - a great IPA with a modest IBU of 50. Although the number is low, the flavor and bitter bite is definitely there! Haverhill Brewery uses Centennial, Nugget, and Chinook hops to give the IPA its bold flavor and aroma.

Great Divide Brewing Co. Rumble - an American IPA aged on French and American Oak. It's said to have a heavy addition of Pacific Northwest hops, and who doesn't love that!?

Stone Brewing Co. Ruination IPA - a COLOSSAL dose of Columbus and Centennial Hops help give this beer 100+ IBU, enough to ruin any other beer you may chose to drink after the Ruination IPA. A serious beer for serious hop heads, it's not for the run of the mill IPA fan.

Although I killed off the last of my Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPAs last night, I still have one 16 oz. can of Sixpoint Craft Ales Bengali Tiger. The Bengali Tiger is sufficiently hoppy, clocking in at 66-69 IBU. I had to represent New England, which is why I went with Leather Lips (one of my favorite beers by Haverhill Brewery), but the Rumble just kind of caught my eye. You can also never really go wrong with a big beer like Ruination IPA.

I hope everyone participates in what might be my new favorite holiday of the IPA! I tend to celebrate India Pale Ales regularly, but there's nothing wrong with having a special day to honor such a great style in beer!

What will YOU be drinking?

No comments: