Friday, May 20, 2011

2011 ACBW Day #5: Blue Point Brewing Co. - Hoptical Illusion



Blue Point Brewing Company - Long Island, NY
Hoptical Illusion IPA
6.8% ABV, 60 IBU, 12 oz

I can't quite recall when, but I know I've had this beer before. The first bottle I had though was actually purchased at Bert's Better Beers in Hooksett, NH during my first visit. Either way, I'm glad I picked up another bottle to share my thoughts.



The beer pours a rather pale and basically crystal clear golden color. There is a medium head with a slight orange tinge to the head. The foam sits atop the beer for a while, before simmering down into the body of the brew. It is also nicely carbonated!

The aroma is very floral. A nice pronounced hop character is present, and picked up instantly. The flavor of the beer is mildly hoppy, pleasantly bitter, but still crisp and clean. The Hoptical Illusion finishes with a clean and dry flavor. It has a nice blend of malt as well, with a slightly lingering after taste.

The mouth feel on this IPA is on the mild side. It's color hints at a medium at best feel, but the hop presence provides a nice balance. The beer coats the tongue, but does not overpower.

I'd also rate the drinkability on the Hoptical Illusion IPA medium high. While it's not the most bold or robust IPA I've had, it is certainly a respectably good beer. I would highly recommend it to all IPA lovers!

No comments: