Thursday, May 19, 2011

2011 ACBW Day #4: Short's Brewing Company - Bellaire Brown



Short's Brewing Company - Elk Rapids, MI
Bellaire Brown - Classic American Brown Ale
5.2% ABV, 12 oz

This was my first go around with Short's Brewing Company, but I'll have to keep my eyes out for more of their beers around the greater Boston area!



The Bellaire Brown pours a rich, dark amber brown liquid, with hints of deep, dark red/maroon. It poured a short white foamy head, which melted almost instantly. It was somewhat hard to see, considering the beer was so dark, but you can see that it's mildly carbonated.

The aroma is rich, malty, and subtly sweet. It also has an essence of brown sugar and tones of caramel.

The flavor of the Bellaire Brown is bold and malty. The flavor definitely backs up the aroma, with its dark brown sugar notes. The beer actually reminded me of Smuttynose Brewing Co.'s Old Brown Dog Ale. The Bellaire is slightly crisp, but has a nice little bite to it.

The beer gives a moderate mouth feel, as you might expect from a hand crafted brown ale like this. The liquid coats the entire mouth, but finishes rather dry with a nice little aftertaste.

I give the Short's Brewing Company Bellaire Brown a medium drinkability level. It feels a bit heavy, so it may limit you to a few long necks, but this is a nice brown ale! I only purchased a single bottle; however, I could easily go back and pick up a full six pack.

If you have any suggestions on other beers by Short's Brewing Company, please let me know!

No comments: