Thursday, July 7, 2011

Tuesday Night Tasting - Maine Beer Co: Peeper American Ale

***I could have sworn I posted this! I must have went to add pics, and then never reposted it...better late than never, but I'll have to add pics later today/tomorrow! ***

Maine Beer Co. – Portland, Maine
*Peeper Ale (American Ale)
5.5% ABV, 1pt 9oz
Bottle Conditioned, 100% American Hops

This was my first go around with a beer from Maine Beer Co, a relatively new brewery located in Portland, Maine. Aside from the liquid, the brewery has a great philosophy as they use 100% wind power for their electricity, donate their spent grain to local farmers, and even donate 1% of sales to environmental non-profits.

The beer pours a golden pale liquid with a bountiful, fluffy, white foamy head. Granted, I may have been a bit over zealous getting the beer poured, but I’m going to assume it pours similarly each time. It has a soft, citrus and piney scent, with tones of nice toasted malt.

The Peeper Ale has an interesting flavor. It is neither too strong, nor too light. You can definitely pick up the beer’s moderate bitterness and hop characteristics. It has mild notes of citrus and pine, to match the scent. It is somewhat crisp and is nicely carbonated.

I considered the mouth feel to this Maine Beer Co. offering to be mild. Again, it’s not heavy at all, yet it’s not overly light. It’s a nice balance, making it a fairly smooth and enjoyable beer. The Peeper has a fairly noticeable aftertaste, which I found to be pleasant.

I would also give the Peeper Ale a moderate drikability level. While it’s not the best beer I’ve ever had, it was my first Maine Beer Co. beer and I was pleased. This is a beer I would buy and drink again.

*Sorry for the missing photos, as our USB cable for the camera is currently hiding from us. Once found, I will upload the pictures!

No comments: