Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Tuesday Night Tasting - Harpoon Brewery: 100 Barrel Series Pott's Landbier

Harpoon Brewery – Boston, MA & Windsor, VT
100 Barrel Series #32: Pott’s Landbier
4.8% ABV, 30 IBU, OG 12

Pott’s Landbier is the latest installment of the 100 Barrel Series by Harpoon Brewery. The pour is a dark amber, which displays a nice foamy head that takes a while to dissipate. The first smell picks up the smoky, roasted barley, which is reinforced by the first sip. The flavor can easily be described as subtly smoky with rich malty tones.

Conversely, the beer has a rather dry aftertaste that I wouldn’t have figured, considering the darkness and richness of the beer. Much to my surprise as well is that the beer has a rather light mouth feel. It has low notes of bitterness, spiced by the Magnum hop – which is a German bittering hop, which gives it a great crisp flavor. The Pott’s Landbier has a moderate, at best, drinkability. I have to say that most of the 100 Barrel Series beers that I have tried (6-7) are best off one at a time, and spread out.

Although I purchased this bottle when it first came out, I was fortunate enough to taste it at the Boston brewery a few weekends ago. It had a consistent flavor, being served both out of the tap and out of the bottle though, so I wouldn’t hesitate to try it again if I found it at one of my local bars.

No comments: