Thursday, April 1, 2010

Tuesday Night Tasting - Samuel Adams: New World Tripel

Here's to Being Single, Seeing Double and Drinking Tripel*

This is a modified toast my friends and I used to say. And may have also been the introduction to my speech at my friend Jenn's wedding reception. But that is a story for another time.

Tuesday Night Tasting this week brought with it a hum-dinger of a beer. Yes I said hum-dinger and it is the most apt description I could come up with.

12-26-10 - FRIDAY 042

The Sam Adams New World Tripel (our third and final selection from their Barrel Room Collection.) This trappist style ale is a light amber color with a thick and creamy head that eventually fades to a thin film

12-26-10 - FRIDAY 047

It tastes floral, light and crisp but do not get me wrong. When I think of "floral" in regards to beer I usually think "bitter" since I live with a hop head. But this clever beer is floral and fruity in the crispest of ways with barely any hop flavor which makes it extemely drinkable...and also extremely dangerous since it is 10% ABV. Yikes!!! It definitely sneaks up on you. You feel like you are drinking this crisp light-tasting delicious beer that has hints of herb and orange and then suddenly you are really buzzed. The lack of bitterness really makes it seem like it would have way less alcohol in it. Sneaky little Tripel!!

So to recap, an equation.

untitled

I would serve this with some smoked gouda or sausage. Or I would just drink it by itself and have a grand old time. The choice is yours. This is both of our favorite beers of Sam's Barrel Room Collection!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have a bottle and are waiting for the right time to open it.

Sarah said...

The time is now! :-)