Friday, April 16, 2010

Adventures in Home Brewing - 3rd Edition

Tonight's the night....

that I try my 3rd concoction- an Irish Red. Truthfully, the kit says it's only a Red, but isn't it more fun to consider it to be an Irish Red? Perhaps there's a subtle difference between the two, but I haven't figured out what it is yet...perhaps someone with more knowledge than me can clue us in.

Well, it just dawned on me moments ago that I have been patiently waiting the minimal three weeks for the beer to condition (carbonate), and now it's on!

You may remember from my last 'Adventures in Home Brewing' post that I had a feeling this would be my finest beer to date. Unlike that monstrosity that I made as my second batch- some may call it an Amber, I call it the worst beer I've ever tasted - this one should come out pretty good. At least I'm hoping that's the case!

With that being said, I'm preparing to brew again either Saturday or Sunday of this weekend. You may not be aware of it, but American Craft Beer Week* is happening May 17-23rd and if I play my cards right, the 4th batch of beer will be ready to drink that week!

Though the Home Brewers Association has a dedicated beer each year, I didn't know about it in time to get the ingredients. Therefore, I'm going to brew what I have (which is somewhat similar). The beer I'm ready to brew will be a Belgian Wit and is going to be my first non-kit beer.

I ordered the ingredients from Williams Brewing, and opted to get a few different malts, yeast, and hop varieties, in order to create something I can "call my own". Though I haven't come up with 100% of the recipe, I'm going to experiment a bit to see how good this beer can be. Once I come up with something I really like, I can consistently brew it. Anyway, it should be interesting and fun. I'll make sure to get some pics and throw them up soon!

*BrewEngland is gearing up for American Craft Beer Week with some exciting stuff. Stay tuned for more information!

No comments: