Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Tuesday Night Tasting - Ipswich Ale Brewery: Oatmeal Stout



Ipswich Ale Brewery - Ipswich, MA
(Formerly operating under Mercury Brewing Co)
Oatmeal Stout
6.83% ABV, 60 IBU, 12oz
Available in 12 oz and draft

Although this is my first review of an Ipswich Ale Brewery beer, this is by no means my first go around with the beer. I purchased this as part of the mix pack when we visited Craft Beer Cellar in Belmont, MA, and the pack also includes the Ipswich Original and Dark Ale, as well as the IPA (which I have purchased a few times in the past).



This beer pours a dark, rich, and bold black liquid. It's completely devoid of light. It features a great brownish/coffee hued head that melts into the beer rather quickly. The Oatmeal Stout has hints of brown sugar, malt, and toffee as it crosses your nose.

The beer has a mild to full flavor. After a few sips you notice a rich, dark, chocolate tone - but not overpowering. It's quite subtle actually. As you continue, the beer's hidden flavors continue to come out. It has a pleasant bitterness and slight smokiness. It finishes a bit sweet, with tones of dark chocolate, bringing the flavor full circle.

This also has a full mouth feel, and is slightly heavy...which is perfect for the cold winter months we get here in New England. It has a nice lasting flavor, but probably would limit the amount you might put back in one sitting.

In the world of stouts, this is definitely a good one. Although I don't have too many to compare it with, I'd have to rate it a bit lower on my list of choice Oatmeal Stouts. This in no way means it's not a good beer, but I would need a larger sample size to rank it higher.

This, however, should not deter you from purchasing the beer on its own, and I would strongly encourage you to pick up the mix pack. Ipswich has one of the strongest selections of mix 12 packs currently available, and I guarantee you will enjoy the four beers included.

2 comments:

Brian said...

I agree with the review 100%. It isnt my top oatmeal stout but its one to try. Had it for the first time in October at the NH Brew Fest. It must taste better from tap.

BrewEngland said...

Thanks Brian. It's funny you had a MA beer at the NH Brew Fest too. I'm sure Ipswich is on tap in far more places on the North Shore, but I'm surprised they haven't infiltrated the Boston/south area yet.