Friday, November 19, 2010

Baking with Beer - Whole Wheat Snickerdoodles

I was looking for a relatively healthy cookie recipe to make the other night. I had a hankering for snicker-doodles and had most of the ingredients for them, only not. Instead of sugar I had splenda. Instead of butter I had I Cant Believe Its Not Butter. And instead of all purpose flour I had whole wheat flour. But with some tweaking and some hope, I came up with these whole wheat snickerdoodles.

While they do not contain any beer, they are the PERFECT accompaniment to beer especially any red ale (They were perfect with the Whistling Pig Red Ale we featured the other night) or spicy beer (Harpoon Winter Warmer). They come together in a snap and taste great!



Whole Wheat Snickerdoodles
1.5 cup splenda
1 stick I Cant Believe Its Not butter
2 eggs
2 ½ cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
2 tbsp Turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw, or use regular sugar or brown sugar)
2 tbsp Cinnamon

Combine splenda and “butter” and beat until fluffy. Add eggs, beating after each addition. Combine dry ingredients minus the sugar and cinnamon. Gradually add it to the liquid mixture while mixing.

Combine Turbinado and cinnamon in small bowl. Roll the cookie dough into one inch balls, dip and roll into the cinnamon sugar mixture and place on ungreased cookie sheet. You can flatten them out a little with a fork if you want but I like them the way they are. Bake at 400 for 10 minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments: