Thursday, May 20, 2010

2010 American Craft Beer Week, Day 3: The Maharaja Imperial India Pale Ale



Avery Brewing Company – Boulder, CO
The Maharaja Imperial India Pale Ale
1pt 6oz, 10.6% ABV, 102 IBU

This was my first experience with Avery Brewing Company, and I definitely found the beer for me. The Maharaja was recommended from my buddy Josh on our Facebook fan page recently, so I decided I needed to give it a try.



The beer pours a medium head, and has a murky, pale, orangeish hue. It is full of body and flavor, with a nice balance of malt. It features a fragrant, citrus flavor with grapefruit undertones. The beer has an insane amount of hop flavor, though it’s not quite as bitter as you would expect from a beer that has an IBU rating over 100! As the Avery website describes the beer, it has “a deranged amount of hops” and I can’t disagree. Not a beer for the run of the mill or wannabe Hop Head.

As you would expect from a beer this intense, it does have a slight bitter aftertaste; however, it doesn’t linger long, so you’ll be quick to reach for your glass for another sip. It may be a bit too intense for multiple bottles in a sitting, so I would give it a lower drinkability rating – but don’t let that sway you, it’s DEFINITELY a beer to try.

I can’t wait to try one of their other 20+ craft beers. If you've had one of the Avery brews, let me know which one we should try next!

No comments: